MOONFLEET OF KINSON
     Dedicated to Old and Modern Kinson
                              


 A Newfoundland connection



Kinson has many connections with the sea.

 
A walker at Millhams


 
The area, now known as Millhams Mead, is still very popular with walkers today.

 
St, Andrew`s Church and churchyard in Kinson


 
The tower has no clock in this old photograph.

 
Breton corner 


 
This area now has a new revitalised shopping centre and  a large car park.
 

Millhams Lane


 
The approach to Kinson Church.

 
Centre of Kinson c1920`s




The Dolphin Inn (now The Acorn) can be seen in the background of this photograph.

 
The centre of Kinson Village


 
A man is standing in the middle of Wimborne Road close to where the modern Kinson Hub is located. The house once lived in by the Spencer family and a thatched cottage once occupied by Granny Saunders are now long gone.

 
Interior of the original St. Andrew`s church, Kinson


 
The cluttered box pews and the chimney of the heating system can be seen. These were all removed when the church was restored between 1893-5.

 
Durdells Farmhouse near Cudnell


 
This farm was named after the Durdell Family who farmed locally and had connections with Cudnell, Hampreston, West Howe and Wimborne. Back in the 1700`s the family had a connection with a public house now renamed The Acorn in central Kinson.

 
Ensbury Manor at Northbourne


 
This ancient property is said to have been 700 years old when it was demolished many decades ago. It was once the home of the Parke family.

It had connections with smuggling and is reputed to have been haunted. House-maids being particular targets!

 
Ensbury at Northbourne


 
A once peaceful hamlet now occupied by a large roundabout and a network of busy roads leading to and from Bournemouth.

 
Farm workers


 
This old photograph shows a family hard at work during haymaking.

 
The Grey cottages in Millhams Lane


 
This is how the area looked in days gone by. Kinson Church is featured in the background.

An open stream flowed towards the Millhams stream. It is the same stream which still flows openly through the Kinson Common today.

 
The grounds of Pelhams House


 
This photograph gives a hint of Pelhams in days gone by when it was owned by the Rev.A. M. Sharp. Today, Pelhams and its extensive grounds are greatly appreciated by local residents and visitors to Kinson.

 
In the Nave of Kinson Church before restoration


 
This is a view looking towards the Chancel.

 
A large open field known as Kinson Close


 
This area was once owned by Isaac Gulliver the smuggler. Today, The area is now covered by roads which include Wicket, Bramley and Royal Oak Roads. The original Kinson Village School is also featured in the distant background.

 
The old Kinson Shopping centre


 
This photograph dates to about the 1950`s. Apart from one, all the other original shops featured have gone.

 
A man on a horse in the Kinson Splash


 
This oil painting was painted after the restoration of Kinson church which took place between 1893-1895.

The Kinson Splash was eventually replaced by the Millhams Bridge. The "Splash" was there in 1907 when the German Kaiser became stuck in the murky water and had to be rescued by Jess Short and Bill Hicks and others. Dr. Lamb who prescribed the whisky to the Kaiser is buried in Kinson Churchyard.
 
 

A fine lady who once owned Pelhams


 
This is a portrait of Mrs. Brouncker who sold Pelhams to the Fryer family in 1816.

 
Millhams Bridge



 
Millhams Bridge and surrounding area in its pristine condition. This was long before the time when the whole area of Millhams was used for tipping purposes.

Today, the whole area has been restored and is well looked after by the Borough`s very capable and professional Countryside division.

 
An old wing of Pelhams


 
This wing was demolished many years ago and in recent times another building was erected which blends in magnificently with Pelhams House.

Although Pelhams dates to the 1790`s, the deeds of Pelhams actually date from about 1711 to 1715.

 
The original Kinson Church




 
This old photograph shows Kinson Church as it originally looked before it was restored. 

 
Plan of Pelhams


 
This is the plan of Pelhams which is featured in the deeds when the Rev. A. M. Sharp sold the property and grounds to the Borough of Bournemouth in the 1930`s.  He was very keen that the property and the  grounds should be used for community use, which it has been for many generations.  Without doubt, Pelhams, also known as Kinson Community Centre, is one of the best in Dorset.

 
Primrose cottages at East Howe


 
This photograph of the Primrose cottages is not as old as it looks. This photograph was taken just over 20+ years ago!
 

 
The Toby Carvery at Northbourne


 
This property was sold by the Kinson Church authorities many years ago and eventually became a public house known as The Old Vicarage renamed Toby Carvery in the recent past.

 
The Rev. E. F. Daniels


 
This is an unpublished photograph of the Rev. Daniels and his wife. He was Kinson`s first vicar in 1866 when Kinson became a separate parish and was separated from Canford.

The Daniel`s family lived in the property during the time when it was the official vicarage for the Kinson area. Members of this family were laid to rest in St. Andrew`s churchyard.

 
Stoney Close


 
This was once a large close owned by Isaac Gulliver.  Since 1936, the site has been occupied by houses, shops and Kinson Primary School which was renamed Kinson Academy from the 1st January 2019.

 
The Dolphin Inn


 
Now known as The Acorn, this listed building has stood on this spot since the 1750`s.

Although no deeds exist to prove that Gulliver once owned this property, someone who knew him very well was local smuggler John Potter who owned this property up to his death in November 1795.

There is a strong connnection between the two in that Potter was a tenant of Mary Barnes when she sold Pitts Farm to Isaac Gulliver in 1775.

 
The Kinson Splash


 
This is an old photograph depicting the Kinson Splash before Millhams Bridge was built.

 
The original Kinson School erected in 1836


 
This old photograph depicting the headmaster and some of the school`s pupils dates to 1874.

The modern Kinson Primary School (now Kinson Academy) is very proud of its past history and roots. They have a museum which houses an original stone dated 1836,also many records and old log books which make for fascinating reading about the days when Kinson was indeed a rural country district.

The heart of Old Kinson still beats on in a modern day setting in School Lane.

 
Hazel Keats


 
As drawn by Augustus John.

 
Kinson Farm


 
A glimpse of days gone by.

 
An Ancient pot


 
This one was found near Millhams and did not come from the modern amenity tip!
 

 
Old School pupils


 
Photo taken when the original Kinson Village School occupied the site now known today as Kinson Village Green.
 

Members of the Parke Family


 
The Parke family once lived in Ensbury manor in an area we now refer to as Northbourne.

 
The Dower House


 
This fine property still stands at Northbourne and once had connections with the ancient Ensbury Manor house.

 
National School Stone 1836


 
This old stone is now proudly displayed in the modern Kinson Academy museum
.
 








Community Web Kit provided free by BT