MOONFLEET OF KINSON
     Dedicated to Old and Modern Kinson
                              


 A pictorial visit


 
It is the place where time stands still and faith moves forward strongly.

There is no better place in England to rediscover the past than a village church. St. Andrew`s is no exception.

As well as adding a  detailed Research Section in 2018, our featured photographs cover a number of  years.

 
Views around the church grounds


 
It is worthy of a visit.  

Views of the tower


 
The tower is the oldest part of St. Andrew`s.   

Monuments
 


Key to photographs
1. Tombstone of smuggler Robert Trotman
2. The Fryer Monument - west side
3. The Fryer Monument - front view 
4. The Fryer Monument - east side  

Views in the church grounds



 
Key to photographs
1. The Oakley tomb
2. Side view of the same tomb
3. Oldest grave. John Weare`s 1667
4. Close up of iron stone tower  

Interesting corners


 
Key to photographs
1. A tomb of the Way family
2. The Russell Monument
3. Old tomb stones near the Chancel
4. The Angel in the churchyard   

2


 
Key to photographs
1. The base of an ancient sun-dial
2. John Potter`s resting place
3. Some of the older gravestones
4. The Spencer family vault  

Looking inside St. Andrew`s Church


 
At the Church door.  
1.Windows


 
Key to photographs
1. & 4. Plain windows edged with coloured glass
2. & 3. Windows in memory of the Fryer family  

2. Windows


 
Every window has a charm and beauty all of its own.

South Aisle  at east end (south facing windows)



3. Isaac Fryer Memorial windows  

TO THE GLORY OF GOD AND IN VERY DEVOTED  REMEMBRANCE OF HER FATHER ISAAC FRYER OF KINSON. ERECTED BY HIS DAUGHTER ADA AUGUSTA RUSSELL.  

Note: Isaac Fryer died April 17th 1872.     

St. Michael  

Field commander of the Army of God. Depicted in a golden suit of armour with glorious red wings. He holds a golden spear upright in his left hand and with his right hand, supports a golden shield adorned with a gleaming red cross. 
  
The inscription above his head reads: MEA FIDES IN SAPIENTIA = MY FAITH IS IN WISDOM.   St. Gabriel   Is an archangel who serves as a messenger from God.   First appears in the Book of Daniel. Delivers explanations of Daniel`s dreams.   In the Gospel of Luke, Gabriel foretold the births of both John the Baptist and Jesus.   Gabriel is elaborately dressed with distinctive magpie-green wings.

His overall bearing and appearance beautifully compliments that of Michael. In his left hand there is a scroll worded AVE,GRATIA, PLENA. = Hail, Grace, Full.    "Hail, full of grace, the Lord is with you." Luke 1  28.     The inscription above his head reads: Che Sara Sara = "What will be will be".   The work of A.L. Moore. It is signed: A. L. Moore, Del et pinxit, London WC  (Of the, and he painted it.)  

Notes:

PE/KIN/CW 4/3  10 Dec 1908
Minor faculty authorising the installation of a stained glass window in memory of Isaac Fryer of Kinson. 
1 doc. Dorset History Centre.   D/1/61/44/48 1908
Kinson, Dorset: to place stained glass memorial window in south aisle - petition, design, plan, proclamation.
Wiltshire & Swindon Archives.
  
South Aisle at east end (east facing windows)

 
 
4. Col. Godfrey Russell memorial windows  

IN LOVING MEMORY OF COL GODFREY RUSSELL SON OF THE REV JOHN RUSSELL RECTOR OF LANDRINIO AND GRANDSON OF THE LATE DEAN OF BATTLE.

THIS WINDOW WAS ERECTED  BY  HIS  WIFE ADA AUGUSTA RUSSELL ON THE RESTORATION OF KINSON CHURCH 1895.  

Note: Lt. Col. Godfrey Russell died on 15th November 1892.    Jesus "The light of the world" John 8:12.   Jesus holding a brightly lit lantern is the central focus with Isaiah on his left and Moses on his right side.      Moses is depicted holding up the following inscription: ERRE AGNUS DEI.  Erre is middle English and Agnus Dei means Lamb of God.   A suggested meaning of the inscription is: "Stray not from the Lamb of God."   Neatly signed work of A.L. Moore glass painter of 89 Southampton Row, London WC.
(Arthur Louis Moore  1849 to 1939)  (Updated 06092016.)

CHANCEL



5.John Fryer windows 

TO THE GLORY OF GOD AND IN AFFECTIONATE REMEMBRANCE OF JOHN FRYER OF WIMBORNE MINSTER. DIED OCT 1854. AGED 57. THIS CHANCEL WAS RESTORED AND EAST WINDOW ERECTED BY HIS WIDOW MARY AND HIS SONS JOHN AND HARDING FRYER. A.D. 1875. 

INSCRIPTION: "THIS IS MY BELOVED SON IN WHOM I AM WELL PLEASED. HEAR YE HIM.

St. Andrew`s describe the scene as The Transfiguration. Jesus the central character is flanked by Moses and Elijah, with disciples James, Peter and John looking upwards.

The beautiful artwork is reputed to be by Heaton, Butler and Bayne. Robert Turnill Bayne, a brilliant designer, often included a figure(s) with his features and long beard. Although a signature has yet to be located on this work, Bayne`s features are clearly recognisable and have been cross referenced with other known works. (Updated 06092016.)

Some other works attributed to Heaton, Butler and Bayne:

1862 Prince Consort Memorial, Coventry
A memorial window in the north aisle of St. Michael`s Church.

1862 St. Peter`s, Chester
East window, as memorial to the late Prince.

1862 The company won a prize medal for stained glass at the Great Exhibition.
"Baptism of our Lord and the Passage of the Red Sea."

1863 Dartford Church, Kent
East window. Another work by HBB also present.

1866 St. James`s, Icklingham
East window of 3 lights.

1868 Window in Westminster Abbey
Memorial of Sir I. Brunel. Artist Mr. Holiday.
HBB manufactured this window.
Moved from the north-side of the nave to the south-side in 1952.

1877 Barningham
"Ascension of our Lord."

1879 Great Sutton
West end window of 4 lights. Artist, Mr. Henry Holiday and executed by HBB.

1882 St. Michael`s Church, Bournemouth
Stained glass window.The appearance of the angel to Joshua.
In memory of the Rev. E. Wanklyn.

1882 Beaconsfield Memorial

1884 St. Oswald`s, Chester

1885 St. Mary`s, Preston Candover
East window.


1886 Preston Candover
St. Peter, St. Paul and St. James.

1886 Eaton Hall
Work exceeded £15k.

1887 Newlyn Saint Peter, Cornwall
The finding of Nathaniel by St. Phillip and his presentation to our Lord.

1887 Duke of Albany Memorial Church at Cannes.

1889 Church of St. Stephen, Guernsey.

1889 Abergwili, near Carmathen

1891 Sandringham Church
3 stained glass windows, under the supervision of Sir A. Blomfield and Sons.

1892 Parish Church of St. Luke, Gaddesby, Leicestershire

1892 Parish Church of Rostherne, Cheshire
New memorial stained-glass window.

1893 The Church of Ireland. Holywood Parish Church.
2-light stained glass window.

1899 Probus School

looking at other areas




 Key to photographs
1. looking towards the Chancel
2. The pulpit
3. The Royal Coat of Arms
4. Looking towards the organ  

 2


 
Key to photographs
1. Parke family plaque
2. Location of Mass dial
3. The Lord`s Prayer & Creed boards
4. Bible text on a boarded display  

3


 
Views within the tower.  

4


 
The mechanism of the Church clock which is over 100 years old.  

5


 
Remembering those who gave their yesterdays for our tomorrows.  


The original layout of the church
 

 
The ground plan dates to before 1893.


Outline of restoration work


 
This is the ground plan of the church when it was restored between c1894-5.  

Kinson Church faculty of 1894


 
St. Andrew`s Church in Kinson.The following is the wording of a faculty obtained in 1894 and concerns the taking down and rebuilding of a substantial part of St. Andrew`s Church in Kinson.The Right Honorable Sir James Parker, Deane, Knight, Doctor of Civil Law Vicar General of the Right Reverend Father in God . John by Divine Permission, Lord Bishop of Sarum, and Official Principal of the Consistorial and Episcopal Court of Sarum lawfully constituted. To the Reverend Arnold Mortimer Sharp Clerk Vicar of the Vicarage and Parish church of Kinson in the County of Dorset and Diocese of Sarum, or to any other lawful Minister Officiating there Greeting. Whereas in and by a Petition in writing it has been represented unto us by you the said Vicar and churchwardens and some of the Principal inhabitants of the said parish that the Parish Church of Kinson aforesaid having been ascertained to be in a state of general decay it was at a Vestry meeting lately duly holden in and for the said Parish resolved by the persons then and there assembled to be expediant in accordance with the report of an experienced Architect to take down the said Building with the exception of the Chancel and Tower thereof and to remove the Galleries therein and the Staircases leading thereto and the whole of the primary floors, pews, Font, Pulpit and fittings of the said Church and to rebuild the same upon the ancient site and adjacent portions of the churchyard with the additions of Organ chamber on the northern side of the Chancel and North and South Aisles of the Nave: To refix the Font and Pulpit in new positions; To remove the Organ and refix it in such new Organ chamber; to excavate in and around the Building and lay the necessary pipes, gullies and drains for the better heating ventilating and draining thereof and of the churchyard respectively, and provide and fix a new heating apparatus; and to execute all necessary works incidental to such restoration and enlargement the whole to be executed in a substantial and durable manner according to and in manner delineated described and set forth in the plan, elevations, sections and specification annexed to the said Petition and now there in with being deposited in the Registry of the said Lord Bishop. That the estimated cost of the said work is One thousand five hundred pounds of which sum One thousand and eighty seven pounds have been realized by voluntary donations and subscriptions Seventy five pounds have been granted by the Diocesan Church Building Association and the remainder it is confidently expected will be raised by further donations and subscriptions; the whole of which said estimated sum and any further monies which may be required for the completion of the aforesaid works the said Petitioners jointly and severally undertake to provide as and when the same may be required. That the population of the said Parish according to the last census amounts to three thousand six hundred and fifty persons and the accommodation in the present church to Two hundred and eighty sittings of which number one hundred and sixteen are free and by the proposed enlargement of the Building and the re-arrangements of seats in persuance of the said Plan Two hundred and seventy four sittings will be obtained of which number One hundred and twenty will be free. That the consent of Walter Ralph Bankes of Kingston Lacy Wimborne Minster in the said County of Dorset Esquire the impropriator of the Great Tithes of Kinson aforesaid has been obtained in the Premises. That the Right Honorable Ivor Bertie Lord Wimborne of Canford Manor in the said County of Dorset as the Owner of a Messuage and Estate situate in the said Parish of Kinson claims to have by Prescriptive right the exclusive use of a Pew in the Nave of the said Church Proposed to be taken down which contains sittings for seven persons and the Reverend Percy Sergeant Newell Clerk and Jane Sophia Newell Spinster both of Pelhams Kinson aforesaid as the Owners of a Messuage and Estate situate in the said Parish of Kinson also claim to have prescriptive right the exclusive use of a Pew in the Nave of the said Church proposed to be taken down which contains sittings for six persons and their respective consents have been obtained in the Premises. That in conveying the said works into affect it will be necessary to taken down and remove certain Monuments, Mural Tablets Tombs and Headstones within and without the said Church and Chancel but the same will be carefully preserved and on the completion of the works be refixed in convenient and suitable situations corresponding as nearly as possible with those they now respectively occupy and all bones and deposits which it may be found necessary to remove or disturb will be immediately carefully and decently reintered in the Churchyard aforesaid. And Whereas you the said Vicar the said Churchwardens and other persons aforesaid, have petitioned us that we would grant our License and Faculty, authorizing and empowering you the said Vicar and the said Churchwardens and their successors, to execute or cause to be executed the aforesaid works according to and in manner delineated, described and set forth in the said Plan, Elevations, Sections, and Specifications, and authorizing and empowering you the said Vicar and the said Churchwardens and their successors, to appropriate the old materials to the furtherance of such works, and being willing and inclining to comply with such the prayer of the said Petition by granting you the said Vicar and the said Churchwardens such our License and Faculty as aforesaid, provided our so doing would not be in the least detrimental, prejudicial, or inconvenient to the Parishioners and Inhabitants of the said Parish, or to any other Persons lawfully interested in the same, Proceeding therefore according to law we do hereby strictly charge and enjoin you, that by Publishing these Presents by affixing a true and authentic copy there of on or near to the Principal Door, of the Parish Church of Kinson aforesaid. Before the time of Divine Service, in the forenoon of Sunday, the Tenth day of the Present month of June - you cite and admonish William Abbott and Frederick Thomas Hayward Churchwardens of the said parish in special, and the Parishioners, inhabitants, and landholders within the same Parish, and all others whomsoever, having or claiming to have any lawful interest in the behalf in general, to enter an appearance if they, or any, or either of them shall think fit so to do, in the Registry of the said Consistorial and Episcopal Court, situate in the close of the City of New Sarum, within eight days after publication hereof in manner aforesaid, and then and there to shew cause and set forth, their objections, if they, or any, or either of them have or know any, against our License and Faculty, authorizing and empowering you the said Vicar and the said Churchwardens and their Successors, to execute or cause to be executed the said works according to and in manner delineated, described, and set forth in the said Plan, Elevations, Sections, and Specification, and also to appropriate the old materials to the furtherance of such works, intimating unto them the said Churchwardens in special, and to all others aforesaid in general, (to whom we also by these presents do so intimate,) that if no appearance be entered and if no conclusive cause be shewn to the contrary, we shall proceed to grant our License and Faculty, for the purposes aforesaid; the non-appearance or rather the contumacy of the parties in special as well as in general, or their inability to shew cause to the contrary there of in any wise not with standing, and this at the Promotion of you the said Vicar and the said Churchwardens; and what you shall do in the Premises, you shall duly certify us, or our lawful Surrogate, or other competent Judge in that behalf, under your hand, on the day of the return of these Presents. Dated at Sarum, under the Seal of our Office, the Seventh day of June in the year of our Lord one thousand eight hundred and ninety four.  

Kinson Church re-opening 31st May 1895


 
"The nave of St. Andrew`s Church was rebuilt and side aisles added 1893-1895. The Church was re-opened by the Archdeacon of Dorset May 31st 1895. Arnold M. Sharp M.A. Vicar. Wm. Abbott & F. T. Hayward, Churchwardens." This Kinson event was recorded in the

Dorset County Chronicle and reads as follows:

Dorset County Chronicle 6th June 1895 Kinson

RE-OPENING of the Parish Church. - The ancient and substantially-built parish church was re-opened, after restoration on Friday afternoon by a special service being held within its walls. The service attracted a large number of persons, not only from the parish but from the adjoining towns and parishes. The church has been fully restored at a cost of £1,500, but up to the time of opening on Friday £150 of that sum was needed to complete the amount required. The parishioners have worked well in many ways to raise the needed funds, whilst the Rector has been most indefatigable in his efforts with respect to the restoration and its costs. It is therefore gratifying to one and all to think that the good work is so near completion so far as the debt is concerned, and that they have such an improved building in which to worship. The building before the restoration appeared to be "full of corners" and exceedingly quaint, various pews having been on to the original church. These had the appearance of miniature cottages appended to the main structure and had the effect of weakening the walls. It was therefore found necessary to take down the body of the church and rebuild it. This has been done, and altered considerably the appearance of the structure for the better. The building is in the Early English style, and contains a nave and side aisles built with local red sandstone faced with Monk`s Park, whilst the interior facings are of Corsham stone. The porch , built entirely of stone, is a most noticeable feature and is a copy of old porches still remaining in some parts of the country. The church contains a beautiful old Purbeck font, which is seen to advantage just within the door. The archway in the tower was forrmerly filled by a staircase to the organ loft. This has been removed and the archway now shows up the massive stonework of the tower. The chancel arch is also a remnant of the old church, but is not such a fine specimen of early workmanship as that in the tower. The church is now filled with pitch-pine seats with a wood block flooring. The old pulpit and reading desk have been replaced until funds are forth coming for the provision of new ones which will harmonise better with the general appearance of the interior. This is not the extent of the "wants" of the church, as the musical portions of the service at present are led by an American organ. Music now plays such an important factor in nearly all religious services that it is hoped ere long that the church will be able to have an instrument worthy of it. The work of restoration has been carried out by Messrs. Jenkins and Son, of Bournemouth, from plans furnished by Messrs. Walker and Tanner, of Bond-street. At the service on Friday the clergy present were the Venerable Archdeacon of Dorset, Rev. A. M. Sharp (rector), Canon Swayne (Salisbury), Canon Bernard, Canon Tewells (Bournemouth), Rev. Dr. Weldon (Weymouth), Rev. C. L. Burrows (Bournemouth), Rev. R. Fawkes (Canford), Rev. O. G. Doyne (Branksome), Rev. G. H. Billington (Chalbury), Rev. W. O. Parish (Longfleet), Rev. J. A. Lawson (St. James`, Poole), Rev. J. D. Dathan (Newtown), Rev. H. Lee (Talbot Village), Rev. T. H. Marsh, Rev. J. Gunnery (Moordown) Rev. H. C. Coote, Rev. W. R. Whateley (Wimborne), Rev. C. F. de Jersey (Poole), Rev. C. M. Gane (Parkstone), Rev. A. L. F. Baker (Poole), Rev. H. G. Hopkins (Hampreston), Amongst others present were Lord and Lady Wimborne and the Hon. Miss Guest &c. The service was conducted by the Rev. A. M. Sharp and the lessons were read by Dr.Weldon and the Rev. W. O. Parish. Archdeacon Sowter preached, and in the course of his sermon alluded to the self-denying work which had been practised by many of the parishioners in connection with the work of restoring the church, the great exertions of the Rector in obtaining subscriptions, etc.,and the generosity of one who had assisted in many other works of that kind. The collection after the service amounted to £91. A public tea was afterwards held in the schoolroom, at which there was a large number present. A service was also held in the evening. The living amounts to about £230 per annum, out of which the Rector provides for two clerical assistants.  

The Oakley family tomb


 
The Oakley family tomb was moved from its original position to near the new south-facing porch created in 1894-1895, by the ancient square western tower. Recently discovered old photograph(s) dating to c1885, confirm clearly that the Oakley tomb was not near the square-western tower at that time and no smugglers ever used this tomb for storing contraband goods in its present position.William Oakley (senior) made his will in 1710 and left his loving wife £5 of lawful money of Great Britain and also a feather bed, the one she now lys on!. He had a sister named Kimber and purchased Pitts Farm in 1706 and owned land known as Roles and other land late Marshalls. Sons named William and John are mentioned in his will. Jane, a daughter, married John Norris and two unknown daughters married Richard and Andrew Coomb.William Oakley (senior) was also friends with George Lewin of Poole and Charles Hilley of Kingston (Kinson). The Oakley family had connections with Pelhams from c1715-1738.  

Fryer Family memorials at St. Andrew`s church, Kinson


 
1. THE FRYER MONUMENT rear of ST. ANDREW`S CHURCHYARD in KINSON SZ06794 BNG96946

Description of Fryer tombstone at Kinson:
Arms 1 & 4 quarterly azure on a chevron argent three castles between three dolphins of the second, 2 & 3 on a chevron gules in base a cinquefoil sable and in chief two talbots of the second.Inscriptions on the front facing side:

 SACRED TO THE MEMORY OF WILLIAM FRYER ESQ. OF WIMBORNE MINSTER AND LYTCHETT, DORSET, BANKER. DIED MARCH 1834, AGED 64 YEARS. ALSO ELIZABETH, HIS WIFE, DAUGHTER OF ISAAC GULLIVER ESQ. OF WEST MOORS, DORSET. DIED 1839 AGED 69 YEARS.

ALSO JOHN FRYER ESQ. OF WIMBORNE MINSTER ELDEST SON OF ABOVE DIED Oct 1854 AGED 57 YEARS. ALSO MARY HIS WIFE, DAUGHTER OF CHRISTOPHER HARDING ESQ. DIED 1886 AGED 79 YEARS. ALSO LIEUT. GENERAL SIR JOHN FRYER KNIGHT COMMANDER OF THE MOST HONOURABLE ORDER OF BATH COLONEL OF THE 6TH DRAGOON GUARDS, THE CARABINIERS ELDEST SON OF THE ABOVE JOHN AND MARY FRYER. DIED 28TH JANUARY 1917 AGED 78 YEARS. ALSO CATHERINE LADY FRYER, 52 YEARS WIFE OF LIEUT. GENERAL SIR JOHN FRYER, K.C.B. AND DAUGHTER OF GEORGE REED ESQ. EAST BRENT MANOR, SOMERSET DIED AUGUST 1914 AGED 74 YEARS.

ERECTED IN 1915 BY LIEUT. GENERAL SIR JOHN FRYER K.C.B. TO THE HONOURED MEMORY OF HIS FOREFATHERS.

Inscriptions on the left side:

ALSO
LT COLONEL JOHN FRYER
V11 HUSSARS
ONLY SON OF
SIR JOHN FRYER
THE CARABINIERS
BORN JAN 28 1871
DIED MARCH 2 1920
ALSO OF
WINIFRED LLUELLYN MANDALE
FRYER
WIDOW OF THE ABOVE
 LIEUT COLONEL JOHN FRYER
AND DAUGHTER OF
CAPTAIN THOMAS FULLER
DIED MARCH 19 1954 AGED 74 YEARS
DEARLY LOVED

Inscriptions on the right side:
ALSO
CAROLINE ELIZABETH FRYER
DAUGHTER OF
JOHN AND MARY FRYER
DIED 1855 AGED 19YEARS
ALSO
HARDING FRYER
2ND SON OF JOHN AND MARY FRYER
DIED 1869
FROM THE CLIMATE OF INDIA
AGED 28 YEARS
 ALSO
HYLDA JOAN SYDENHAM
14TH JULY 1914 - 28TH JANUARY 1999
WIFE OF JAMES HOWARD SYDENHAM
AND YOUNGEST DAUGHTER OF
JOHN AND WINIFRED FRYER
 AND
LIEUT COLONEL JAMES
HOWARD SYDENHAM C ST J
10TH NOVEMBER 1907 - 12TH DECEMBER 2000

Inscriptions on the rear side:
Blank.

2. INSCRIBED HORIZONTAL GRAVESTONES to the immediate left of THE FRYER MONUMENT: SZ06804 BNG96956

IN LOVING MEMORY OF COLONEL ABBOT ROBINSON T.D. D.L.J.P. OF ROTHLEY GRANGE. LEICESTER DIED FEB.5TH 1946. AND OF ARGENTINE HIS WIFE DIED JULY 28TH 1950. AND OF ETHEL KATHERINE DIED FEB 24 1945. WIDOW OF MAJOR HUGH MASSY. ROYAL ENGINEERS. KILLED IN ACTION AT SPION KOP, SOUTH AFRICA. DAUGHTERS OF LIEUT GENERAL SIR JOHN FRYER K.C.B.

3. EAST WINDOW IN THE CHANCEL OF ST.ANDREW`S CHURCH, KINSON

A three-pointed pictorial window, with the following words: THIS IS MY BELOVED SON - IN WHOM I AM WELL PLEASED - HEAR YE HIM.TO THE GLORY OF GOD AND IN AFFECTIONATE REMEMBRANCE OF JOHN FRYER OF WIMBORNE MINSTER DIED OCT 1854 AGED 57. THIS CHANCEL WAS RESTORED AND EAST WINDOW ERECTED BY HIS WIDOW MARY, AND HIS SONS, JOHN, AND HARDING FRYER. A.D. 1875

4. FURTHER WINDOWS in north and south walls of the CHANCEL commemorate other members of the FRYER familyTheir coats-of-arms and the initials of John Fryer, Fryer-Read or Fryer Harding are entwined and repeated in each diamond pane glass. None of these windows bears an inscription.

 5.East Wall of the South aisle
PICTORIAL WINDOW dedicated to COLONEL GODFREY RUSSELL.

Inscription reads:IN LOVING MEMORY OF COL GODFREY RUSSELL SON OF THE REV JOHN RUSSELL RECTOR OF LLANDRINIO AND GRANDSON OF THE LATE DEAN OF BATTLE. THIS WINDOW WAS ERECTED BY HIS WIFE ADA AUGUSTA RUSSELL ON RESTORATION OF KINSON CHURCH 1895.

6. South Wall of the South aisle PICTORIAL WINDOW dedicated to ISAAC FRYER (twin brother of John mentioned in No.1).

 Inscription reads:TO THE GLORY OF GOD AND IN VERY DEVOTED REMEMBRANCE OF HER FATHER ISAAC FRYER OF KINSON ERECTED BY HIS DAUGHTER ADA AUGUSTA RUSSELL.

7. Plaque in the South Wall of the South aisle
Inscription reads:SACRED TO THE MEMORY OFCHARLES CHRISTOPHER BARRINGTON RUSSELL BELOVED ELDER SON OF CHARLES AND FELICIA AND GRANDSON OF THE LATE COL. GODFREY RUSSELL OF KINSON 26th January 1915 - 1st July 1937
HIS ASHES WERE SCATTERED ON THE FAMILY RESTING PLACE IN THIS CHURCHYARD.

8. ANCHOR MONUMENT in the churchyard opposite to the KINSON CHURCH PORCH - RUSSELL FAMILY
SZ06804 BNG96913

Inscriptions on each side of the 4-sided base as follows:
 Inscription 1.
THINE FOR EVER
IN LOVING REMEMBRANCE
OF MY DARLING DAUGHTER
EVELYN.
BORN AT KINSON 6TH APRIL 1874
ENTERED INTO REST 18TH APRIL 1900
AT WEST LULWORTH.
"REQUIESCAT IN PACE"
BY HER MOTHER ADA AUGUSTA RUSSELL.

Inscription 2.
LT COL GODFREY RUSSELL
BORN 10TH JUNE 1812
DIED 15TH NOV 1892

Inscription 3.
ADA AUGUSTA RUSSELL
 BORN 21ST AUGUST 1835
DIED 8TH FEBRUARY 1910
"REQUIESCAT IN PACE"


Inscription 4.
REV`D GODFREY FRYER RUSSELL
BORN MAY 2ND 1870
DIED FEB. 13TH 1933.

First World War Memorial 1914 -1919


 
1ST WORLD WAR MEMORIAL - ST. ANDREW`S CHURCH, KINSON, BOURNEMOUTHTO THE GLORY OF GOD AND TO THE HONOURED MEMORY OF THE OFFICERS AND MEN OF THIS PARISH WHO FELL IN THE GREAT WAR 1914-1919.

REV.J.D. DATHAN CHPLN R.N.
H. MITCHELL O.S. R.N.
LT. E.R. ASTON R.N.V.R.
LT. E. ELLIOTT R.F.A.
GNR. W. LEE R.F.A.
DVR. H. LEGG R.F.A.
DVR. W. PIDGLEY R.F.A.
FITTR. P. MESSENGER R.F.A.
GNR. A.S. RABBITTS R.C.A.
SERGT. A.G.THOMPSON K.E.H.
PTE. R. LUFF S.L.I.
PTE. J.P. WHISTON CHESHIRES.
COL. H. MARSHALL HANTS.
SERGT. W. WARR HANTS.
PTE. F. DANIELS HANTS.
PTE. E. JOLLIFFE HANTS.
PTE. M. MITCHELL HANTS.
PTE. A. SLACK HANTS.
PTE. W. SLACK HANTS.
PTE. M. WHITE HANTS.
LCE. CPL. W.W. PETTIS DORSET.
PTE. B. BARTLETT DORSET.
PTE. W. A. BARTLETT DORSET.
PTE. G.C. EARNEY DORSET.
PTE. T.LEGG DORSET.
PTE. B. LUSH DORSET.
PTE. F.C. TROKE DORSET.
PTE. J. WILCOX DORSET.
PTE. A.G. HARRIS MIDDLESEX.
PTE. A.F. DERRYMAN WILTS.
LT. J.A. PARKE D.L.I.
LT. W.E. PARKE D.L.I.
PTE. G. PITMAN HERTS.
SERGT. C. SOUTHWICK LONDON.
PTE. H.J. AMEY LONDON.
PTE. J.S. AMEY LON. WELSH.
CPL. J.D. MONTGOMERY CANADN.
PTE. J.C. NIMMO M.G.C.
PTE. O. WHITE M.G.C.
SERGT. G. JEFFERY R.A.S.C.
SERGT. J.T. WITTINGHAM R.A.S.C.

"TELL ENGLAND, YE WHO PASS THIS MONUMENT,THAT WE WHO DIED SERVING HER, REST CONTENT."

40 TALBOT NAMES ARE INSCRIBED ON THE MEMORIAL THERE.
More information is published on our Kinson - The Great War & other conflicts, webpage.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

1.Bournemouth War Memorial
Book of Remembrance The following names are included:

Ernest Reginald Aston, Lieutenant R.N.V.R.
Harold Marshall, M.C., Lieut-Col 7th Hampshires
Walter William Pettis, Lance Corporal 1st Dorsetshire Regt.
Arthur Frederick Derryman

2. Those who were registered at/attended the Old Kinson School.
(Site now Kinson Village Green.)

Bertie Bartlett
William Albert Bartlett
Arthur Frederick Derryman
George Earney
George Jeffery
Ernest Jolliffe
Thomas Legg
B. Lush
Harry Mitchell
Montague Mitchell
Albert Sidney Rabbitts
Albert Slack
William Slack
Charles Southwick
Montague White
Oscar White
(Updated on 16th November 2018)

3. List of some former Kinson School scholars who survived the Great War:

Arthur Bartlett
George Cherrett
William Cherrett
Frank Crabb
Ernest Hand
Charlie Jolliffe
Herbert Jolliffe
James Jolliffe
Walter Jolliffe
Arthur Phillips
Jack Reeks
William Soper
Sidney White
(Updated on 16th November 2018)

4.  7th Battalion - The Hampshire Regiment
      Roll of Honour 1914-1919

War memorial at Holdenhurst Road, BournemouthThe following names are included:

Jolliffe, E.R.J., Pte.
Marshall, H., M.C., Lt. Col.
Mitchell, M.A., Pte.
Slack, W., Pte.
Warr, W., C.S.M.
White, M., Pte.  

The Book of Remembrance 1939 - 1945


 
To the Glory of God and in grateful Remembrance of those from the Parish of Kinson who gave their lives in the Second World War 1939 - 1945.The tablet above and this book containing their names were dedicated Sept: 12th 1948
J.R. Aspinall. Vicar.

Baker,Arthur William
Barnes,Reginald
Barrett,Walter
Bush,Neville Ernest J.
Carpenter,Cecil Henry
Chopping,Stanley George
Cullen,Frederick Jack
.....................
Curtis,Reginald Arthur
Davies,Robert
Elliott,John Athelstan
Foote,John
Frost,Harold Desmond
Holland,George
Jennings,John Edward T.
....................
Jolliffe,Alfred Bertie
Kennard,Leslie John
Lapping,Henry Charles
Matthews,Ernest William
Mooring-Aldridge,Robert Braxton
Newman,David Henry
North,Edward Sidney C.
.....................
Peach,Stanley Frederick
Poore,Horace George
Rees,William Arthur
Rennie,Owen William
Smith,Ronald William
Swatridge,Douglas Edwin
Tanner,William Baden
....................
Tharme,George William H.
Young,James William A.
Waddilove,Charles
Walden,Donovan Alfred
Wigmore,William Vincent G.
.......................

Holland,Stanley Albert
.......................

There are 34 names inscribed in this Book of Remembrance and the beautiful artwork was undertaken by H.M. Price.  

More military records for St. Andrew`s church, Kinson


 
Military burials in St. Andrew`s churchyard, Kinson,
also some records of those who died while On Active Service.

MILITARY
...........................

30072063 RIFLEMAN
JONATHON M. ALLOTT
3RD BATTALION THE RIFLES
5TH MARCH 2010 AGED 19

I`D GLADLY TAKE YOUR PLACE
YOUR LIFE HAD JUST BEGUN
SLEEP MY LITTLE SOLDIER
SLEEP TIGHT MY LOVELY SON

SZ06839 96902
...........................

FLYING OFFICER S. G. CHOPPING
PILOT ROYAL AIR FORCE
14TH MARCH 1945  AGE 22

WE ARE PROUD OF HIM
WE SHALL MEET AGAIN
THEN UNDERSTAND.

SZ06748 BNG96889
...........................

1433146 DRIVER C.H. CARPENTER
ROYAL SIGNALS
25TH NOVEMBER 1945 AGE 35

IN MEMORYOF MY BELOVED HUSBAND
RESTING WHERE NO SHADOWS FALL.

SZ06745 BNG96872
........................... 

1206039 SERGEANT
R. DAVIES
FLIGHT ENGINEER
ROYAL AIR FORCE
11TH APRIL 1943 AGE 28
IN LOVING MEMORY
SZ06755 BNG96866
...........................

PRO PATRIA MORI
In LOVING MEMORY OF LIEUT EDWARD ELLIOTT R.F.A.
BELOVED SON OF
EDWIN ATHELSTAN AND ADELINE ELLIOTT
WHO DIED ON OCT 25TH 1918
FROM WOUNDS RECEIVED AT CAMBRAI.
AGED 20 YEARS

"REST IN THE LORD"
"DULCE ET DECORUM EST PRO PATRIA MORI"
"IT IS SWEET AND FITTING TO DIE FOR ONE`S COUNTRY"
...........................

11844 PRIVATE A.G. HARRIS
MIDDLESEX REGIMENT
19TH MARCH 1919

SZ06782 BNG96889

(Alfred George Harris, Farm colony, West Howe.)
...........................

532795 CORPORAL W.P. HOOLE P.W.O.
CIVIL SERVICE RIFLES
9TH MAY 1921 AGE 40.
SZ06789 BNG96885
..........................
14011140 PRIVATE H.C. LAPPING
THE ROYAL BERKSHIRE REGT.
8TH MAY 1947 AGE 25

GOD TAKES OUR LOVED ONES  FROM OUR HOMES
BUT NEVER FROM OUR HEARTS.SZ06738 BNG96874
..........................

60080 GUNNER W. LEE
ROYAL HORSE ARTILLERY
30TH APRIL 1917

SZ06781 BNG96889

(Wallace Lee, Red Triangle Farm colony, West Howe.)
.........................

286245 GUNNER G.R. ROBINSON
ROYAL GARRISON ARTILLERY
11TH APRIL 1920
SZ06781 BNG96888
...........................
305556 PRIVATE A. SLACK
HAMPSHIRE REGIMENT
12TH SEPTEMBER 1919 AGED 22
SZ06776 BNG96890

(Albert Slack, West Howe.)
............................ 

3455750 PRIVATE E.F. STEPHENSON
ROYAL ARMY ORDNANCE CORPS
21ST AUGUST 1943 AGE 27

TO THE WORLD HE WAS BUT ONE
TO ME HE WAS ALL THE WORLD.
SZ06748 BNG96880
............................

3625 PRIVATE J. WHISTON
CHESHIRE REGIMENT
19TH MARCH 1919
SZ06782 BNG96889

(John Patrick Whiston, Farm colony, West Howe.)
...........................
1205635 LDG. AIRCRAFTMAN W.V.G. WIGMORE
ROYAL AIR FORCE
26TH OCTOBER 1942 AGE 31

IN PROUD AND LOVING MEMORY
OF A DEAR HUSBAND AND FATHER
WHO GAVE HIS LIFE FOR HIS COUNTRY.

On Active Service. Buried October 31st 1942
William Vincent George Wigmore L.A.C. Wigmore, met his death by enemy action while carrying out his duties with the R.A.F. on a South of England aerodrome. All parishioners will wish to extend an expression of deep sympathyto Mrs. Wigmore, of West Howe.
SZ06743 BNG96896
........................... 
DIED ON ACTIVE SERVICE1940 - Reported in St. Andrew`s Kinson magazine

Chief Petty Officer William Baden Tanner, aged 40, was reported missing in June. It must now be asssumed that he met his death in the Dunkirk evacuation.We offer our true sympathy to Mrs. Tanner and her family.

........................................................

1940 - Reported In St. Andrew`s Kinson magazine

Burial December 6th Donovan Alfred Walden, aged 23.On Active Service

The tragic death of Mr. Don Walden in a flying accident was a great shock to all who knew him,doubly so because he was to have been married a few days later.   Deep sympathy goes to all who loved him.            His career was already one of great promise.He passed his accountancy exams, with great ease; he was the best bat in the Kinson Cricket XI, and a leading match player in the St. Andrew`s Tennis Club; he was, first, and foremost, a young man of strong Christian character.On joining the R.A.F., he quickly rose to the rank of Sgt. Observer and was frequently over enemy bases in occupied France, as the member of a Blenheim bomber crew of the Coastal Command.His fiancee Miss Margaret Doble, has been prominent in the Young People`s activities of our church, and is a valued Sunday School Teacher at. St. Matthew`s.
.............................................................

1941 - Reported in St. Andrew`s Kinson magazine

May 2nd 1941Lionel Charles Spreadbury. Aged 19."Jim" Spreadbury, of 53, Saxonhurst Road, enlisted in the Royal Navy and was a wireman in H.M.S. "Jersey". He lost his life when the ship was mined in the Spring of this year. All our sympathy is extended to his parents and sister.
............................................................

1941 - Reported July in St. Andrew`s Kinson magazine

Leslie John KennardOur very true sympathy goes out to Mr. & Mrs. Kennard, of Northbourne, whose eldest son, Leslie, previously reported missing, is now believed to have been killed, while on active service with the R.A.F. May "the God of all comfort" draw very near to them in their grief and loneliness.
.......................................................

1941 - Burial recorded in St. Andrew`s Kinson magazine

November 22nd 1941Owen William Rennie. Aged 24.Mr. Rennie, who had made good progress during his short R.A.F. career, died in a Scottish hospital following peritonitis. Great sympathy is extended to Mrs. Rennie and to her parents, Mr. & Mrs. Oswald Neilson, of 45, Broughton Avenue.

His memorial in the churchyard reads:

In precious memory of my darling husband
Owen William RennieCPL. Cadet Pilot R.A.F.
Died Nov 16th 1941
Aged 24 years.

Beloved tho` we`re parted.
It is only for a while.
In God`s good time you`ll greet me.
With your happy loving smile.
.............................................................  

The Shapwick Express who lived in Kinson


 
We feature a gps map of St. Andrew`s churchyard in Kinson and a great many are now proudly aware of the new memorial stone erected at SZ06733 96872 for Charles Bennett, Olympic champion 1900.

The memorial in Kinson reads:
In Loving Memory of CHARLES BENNETT 1870 -1948
First British Track and Field Athlete to become Olympic Champion.Bennett known as The Shapwick Express, won two gold medals and a silver at the Paris Games in 1900.Also in Memory of his Beloved Wife Sarah Lena 1875 - 1950.

"UNTIL THE DAY BREAK"

 

RESEARCH SECTION


CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

First listed 5.5.1952

Tower of ironstone rubble with ironstone dressings, unbuttressed with 2 set-offs late c12th century, flat-headed lancet windows to ground floor deeply splayed, a pair of flat-headed belfry windows, chamfered pointed arch without capitals to nave.

Nave & aisles, 3 gables, entirely of 1893-5:Decorated style, aisle windows flat-headed, 3-bay arcade double-chamfered on octagonal piers (plus short eastern bay),clerestory of quatrefoils.

Chancel of Purbeck rubble and dressings with some ironstone rubble, late c13th century: 3-light east window with Victorian plate tracery on old mullions, side windows flat-headed with renewed trefoiled lights. Chancel arch late c13th century, without capitals. North-east vestry c19th century.

Note:

John Weare monument listed on 24th January 1984. Grade II.*

Jane & William Oakley monument listed on 24th January 1984. Grade II.**

* John Weare

Mastaba-shaped tomb circa 1.524 metres long at ground level close to the base of the square western tower, carrying the inscription: `Here lyeth the body of John Weare of Little Canford` `glover who was buried here October 15th 1667, a man industrious, peaceable and charitable. In the name of his daughter Catherine he gave to the poor of Kinson, Cudnell and Ensbury, the sum of ten shillings yearly, to be paid out of his lands at West Moors for ever.`

** Oakley alter-tomb

south-facing side-panel:

HERE LYETH THE BODY OF WILLIAM OAKLEY WHO DEPARTED THIS LIFE Y 4TH MAY ANNO DOMINI 1710 BEING IN Y 48TH YEARE OF HIS AGE.

HERE LYETH THE BODY OF JANE OAKLEY THE WIFE OF WILLIAM OAKLEY Y SON OF WILLIAM OAKLEY.

north-facing side-panel:

HERE LYETH THE BODY OF MARY THE WIFE OF WILLIAM OAKLEY WHO DEPARTED THIS LIFE APRIL Y 4th IN 1718 IN Y 67TH YEARE OF HER AGE.

Please note: The Kinson Register of St. Andrew`s church records Mary`s burial as taking place on the 4th April 1717.

The Oakley family tomb

The Oakley family tomb was moved from its original position to near the new south-facing porch created in 1894-1895, by the ancient square western tower.

Recently discovered old photograph(s) dating to c1885, confirm clearly that the Oakley tomb was not near the square-western tower at that time and no smugglers ever used this tomb for storing contraband goods in its present position.

William Oakley (senior) made his will in 1710 and left his loving wife £5 of lawful money of Great Britain and also a feather bed, the one she now lys on!. He had a sister named Kimber and purchased Pitts Farm in 1706 and owned land known as Roles and other land late Marshalls.

Sons named William and John are mentioned in his will. Jane, a daughter, married John Norris and two unknown daughters married Richard and Andrew Coomb. William Oakley (senior) was also friends with George Lewin of Poole and Charles Hilley of Kingston (Kinson).

The Oakley family had connections with "original" Pelhams from c1715-1738.

REPAIRS TO ST ANDREW`S CHURCH

Some are listed as follows:

1935

In 1935, E. W. Kingbury & Sons of Poole undertook the renewal of the bell cage and rehung the bell at a cost in the region of £70.

One bell, weighing 6.25cwt in B, dating to 1750 and attributed to Cockey, still hangs in the bell-tower.

1937

The battlements of the church tower were refixed and strengthened by a low brick wall cleverly hidden from view. The tower roof was in a sad condition and almost entirely renewed. The tower walls were repointed in a manner which harmonized admirably with the old stonework and the clock face was repainted. All this work was carried out by E. W. Kingsbury & Sons.

On the 16th November 1937, the church tower account was received from the builder. It amounted to £211 8s. 6d. This was an increase of £51 8s. 6d over the original estimate. Following careful scrutiny,the church authority was satisfied that the extra work was necessary. The tower roof and the nave roof were in a worse condition than was at first believed and both were restored to good order. The final bill for all the work amounted to £218 and this was paid in full by the 31st December 1937.


EARLY HISTORY OF THE CHURCH

In Anglo Saxon times, Kinson was already a small settlement and although St Andrew`s was built on an ancient site, all traces have vanished, with the probable exception of the foundations beneath the tower when a Norman church was built. With Canford Magna and its parish church anciently belonging to the lords of the manor, John Sydenham in his monumental and greatly respected publication on the History of Poole, informs us that one of them, Earl Walter, in 1142, founded and endowed the priory of Bradenstoke, in the county of Wilts, also conferred to the priory some charge upon the church of Canford and its dependencies. The aforementioned, which also included Kinson (from what date?), continued to belong to the priory until its surrender on January 8, 1539, by William Snow(e) the last prior and 13 monks.

In 1827, a transcept extending northwards was erected which enlarged the church (then a chapel of ease) creating room for 150 additional sittings. The surround around the Fryer monument in the churchyard gives a hint of where the extension ended. The nave was rebuilt and side aisles were added during 1893 to 1895 by W.H. Romaine–Walker at a cost of £1500 and the Archdeacon of Dorset reopened the church on 31st May 1895. Today, the only Norman remnant is the square western tower.

An ancient mass dial, resited inside the church and installed upside down, is a lasting reminder of a church presence in Kinson for over 1,000 years and is an important relic of Old Kinson. It may well have been used in an earlier Saxon building and transferred to a later building which survived until it was demolished in the 1890`s when the dial was rehomed inside the rebuilt church. 

TOWER
Consists of ironstone rubble with ironstone dressings. This brown textured stone was known in Dorset as heath stone. It is probably 12th century and has a pair of flat headed belfry windows. The flat-headed lancet windows to the ground floor are deeply splayed one on each north and south wall. There was also a fire grate, 19th century, which provided heat when it was used as a schoolroom or meeting venue.

The tower clock was erected in 1905 by Gillet and Johnstone, clockmakers of Croydon. It was ‌installed in memory of Queen Victoria. One can enter the tower from the nave via doors incorporated under a chamfer pointed arch without capitals. The doors are dedicated to the memory of Alderman Reg Atkins, J.P, churchwarden of St Andrew`s for 43 years and tenant farmer of Kinson Manor Farm.

In 1909 the tower was seriously cracked and was repaired by under pinning and the insertion of ties. In 1937 the then vicar Rev. Lloyd issued an appeal for £200 towards repairing the tower.

The crenellated parapet was added to the tower at a much later date. According to legend, the grooves you see in the parapet were made long ago by the ropes used to hoist the brandy kegs for hiding by Isaac Gulliver and his White wigs.

Another legend states that on one Sunday morning long ago when Kinson villagers arrived at the church there was a note on the locked door saying,"The vicar is ill and cannot take the services today." The true reason was the smugglers had hidden their contraband inside the church and could not move "the goods" before the Sunday services.

CHURCH BELLS
St Andrew`s once had six bells, all with the exception of one were sold to a Bristol church for £143 9s 4d less carriage fees. A treble bell cast at Shaftesbury costing twelve shillings carriage was placed in the tower in 1751 and cost £13 8s 2d. £27 2s 3d of the money raised from the sale of the bells was spent on church improvements, namely, a new gallery at the rear of the church erected by Joseph Puce,now gone. The tower now houses only one bell.

NAVE & AISLES
The nave was rebuilt and side aisles added during 1893 to 1895 in a decorated style. The aisle windows are flat headed, there is also a 3-bay arcade double chamfered on octagonal piers, plus short eastern bay, clerestory of quatrefoils.

CHANCEL
The chancel consists of Purbeck stone rubble and dressings, with some brown heathstone, late 13th century. A three light east window with Victorian plate tracery on old mullions. Side windows flat headed with renewed trefoiled lights. The chancel was restored in 1875 and an east window was installed in affectionate remembrance of John Fryer of Wimborne Minster, who died in October 1854 aged 54, by his widow Mary (nee Harding) and sons, John and Harding Fryer.

It is interesting to note this John Fryer was the eldest twin son of William Fryer, a Wimborne banker and his wife, Elizabeth, daughter of Isaac Gulliver the famous local smuggler.

CHANCEL ARCH
Dates back to the latter part of the 13th century, without capitals. Set into the arch (upside down) is the mass or scratch dial. It was placed there when the church was restored, having previously been set in a prominant south-facing position outside the building. The dial worked like a sun dial and the markings are very basic.

GLASTONBURY CHAIRS
There are 4 good examples on view in the chancel. One is of particular interest as follows:

Old Glastonbury Chair presented to Kinson Church by Thomas William Blake, M.D., of Ensbury, Kinson, on September 26 1915.

Inscriptions on this Glastonbury chair:

On inside back of chair: Monachus Glastonie = Glastonbury Monk. No scrolling or patterned square on the back of the chair. Donor`s brass name plate.

On inside of left chair arm: salvet eum Deus = Save him God. On outside of left chair arm: Da pacem Domine = Give peace, Lord.

On inside of right chair arm: Monk`s name, Johanes/ Johanus Arthurus. The surname, if Thorne, would identify him as one of the monk`s who died on Glastonbury Tor on 15th November 1539*.

On outside of right chair arm: Sit Laus Deo = Praise God.

This chair is believed to be a late 18th century copy whose appearance is very similar to one featured in Horace Walpole`s Strawberry Hill Collection in Yale University.

Mr. Walpole`s original chair with all the Latin inscriptions aforementioned, complete with scrolling on the back plus a patterned square, was mentioned in 1774 and 1784.

Lord Bathurst is said to have made accurate copies of the original. Sadly, no one knows where the original chair is today. There cannot be too many Glastonbury chairs bearing the name of Johanes  Arthurus in existence and the church certainly has a copy to be treasured.

* Richard Whiting (Prior), John Thorne and Roger James (Monks), were hanged, drawn and quartered at Glastonbury Tor on 15th November 1539. Whiting beatified by Pope Leo X111 on 13th May 1895.

FONT
The Purbeck marble font dates to the 13th century, is octagonal in shape with a much marked lead lining. The rim bears the marks of hinges and staples once used and now gone,to fix a cover to prevent people stealing the holy water for its usage in witchcraft. There was much superstition amongst villagers in past times and folklore has it that most villages had its own witches.

PULPIT
The pulpit and reading desk were placed in the church, Christmas 1898, and are in memory of the Rev Percy Joseph and Mary Ann Newell and their family, Janet, Mary, William and Percy, for many years closely connected with churchwork in the parish.

ORGAN
Music was originally provided by an American organ. This was replaced by an organ which was dedicated on 20th December 1911, in remembrance of Ada Augusta Russell of Kinson House (now demolished). It was restored in 1983 and its mechanism and pipes were moved to the Nave wall by the tower. Other restoration has been carried out in more recent times.

CONSOLE
A former console was sacred to the memory of Felicia Russell who passed to her eternal home on 22nd July 1943, given by her husband Charles A. Russell on the restoration of the organ 1949. Another console was given in memory of Mrs E.K. Wright, by her sister, Miss A. Noakes in 1983.

HANOVERIAN ROYAL ARMS BOARD

The Royal Coat of Arms of King Charles II were commanded to be placed in all churches who stayed faithful to the Monarchy. England was declared a Commonwealth after King Charles I had been beheaded. Charles II was restored to the throne after the fall of the Commonwealth. In 1760 these arms were restored by a Mr Taylor for £5 and his work is signed in the lower left corner.

HONI SOIT QUI MAL Y PENSE "Shamed be he who thinks evil of it. Motto of the Order of the Garter.

DIEU ET MON DROIT "God and my Right."

THE LORD`S PRAYER, COMMANDMENT & BLESSING BOARDS
These old and interesting wooden boards are are display within the church. The last mentioned features an unusual orange angel and may relate to the year 1827?

There are also lasting and fitting tributes inside the church to those who died in the Great War and later conflicts.

INTERNAL INSCRIPTIONS & TABLETS

1. Here lieth in hope of a joyful resurection, the body of John Welstead, who departed this life, 5th March 1728, 56 years of age. Also his wife Jean, who died in Sept. 1730.

2. In memory of Joanna the wife of Joseph Wayman who died in November 1757 aged 38 years.

3. Sacred to her husband John Way of Howe Lodge in this parish, who departed this life 5th April 1846 aged 70 years. His sorrowing widow has raised this tablet to his dear and lamented memory. "Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shalled be called the children of God." Also Sarah his wife, who died 25th February 1869 aged 89 years. " Lord thou hast been our refuge."

4. In memory of Thomas Stone, Newfoundland merchant of Poole, who departed this life on 31st July 1820 aged 76 years. Also Betsey Stone and of Henry Way, who lost his life on his passage from Newfoundland in 1803 at the age of 50. This tablet is placed in affectionate remembrance by thier nephew John Way.

5. In memory of William Abbott who died 8th November 1910 aged 79 years. Church warden for 17 years at St. Andrew`s church.

6. To the glory of God and in loving memory of Walter Evelyn Parke, born at Henbury House, Wimborne, 27th July 1891, killed in action in France 13th October 1914. "I thank my God upon every remembrance of you", Phill. 2.3.

7. "Blessed be the Lord God of our fathers, which hath put such a thing in the King`s heart, to beautify the house of the Lord." Ezra chap. V11 verse XXV11.

8. To the glory of God and to the honoured memory of the officers and men of this parish who fell in the Great War 1914 to 1919. "Tell England, Ye who pass this monument that we who died serving her, rest content."

9. To the glory of God and in loving memory of John Aubrey Parke, 10th Battalion Durham Light Infantry, son of Lawrence & Eveline Parke, born at Beancroft near Wimborne in Dorset, 6th October 1892. Missing at the Battle of Loos, 25th September 1915. "They were lovely and pleasant in their livesand in their death they were not divided."
(Major Lawrence Parke and his family lived at Ensbury Manor from c1904 to 1914.)

10. To the glory of God and in grateful remembrance of those from this parish who gave their lives in the Second World War 1939 to 1945. Their names are inscribed in a Book of Remembrance in the church.

11. In memory of Arnold Mortimer Sharp M.A. Canon of Salisbury and Rural Dean of Poole who faithfully served this Parish of Kinson as Vicar for thirty nine years 1891 - 1930. I am among you as he that serveth.

12. In affectionate remembrance of Egerton Frederic Daniell. A true servant of God and Pastor of this Parish for 30 years, first as Curate of Canford and then as Vicar of Kinson. He Departed this life 21st - Obt. 1909, aged 76. Erected by parishioners and friends.

13.To the glory of God. Treasured memories of a devoted husband and father. Eddy G. Tiller 1920 - 1973.

14. Captain Barrington J. Russell
We the undersigned on behalf of the Parish desire to express our sincere regret at your retirement from the post of Organist at Kinson. It is owing to your untiring zeal, and the generosity of yourself and family, that we now possess an organ worthy of the church, placed there in memory of your dear mother; and to your skill and patience that the choir has been brought to a high level of efficiency.
We regret that your state of health makes it necessary that you should have entire rest, and we trust that you will soon be restored to strength again, and able to devote your many gifts to God`s Service.
Arnold M. Sharp Vicar, Reginald Atkins & L. Parke, Churchwardens, January 1912.

15. These doors are dedicated to the abiding memory of Alderman R. Atkins, J.P. Faithful and beloved warden of this church for 43 years.

16. In memory of Pennell King who died 5th October 1809. Aged 93 years.

17. In loving memory of Emily Minnie Hayward, who died August 16, 1896, aged 22 years.

18. The extension to the sound amplification system was given by Louie Bright Hore in memory of her sister Georgina Doris Burrows who died in September 1982.

19. The Nave of this church was rebuilt and Side Aisles added 1893-1895. The church was reopened by the Archdeacon of Dorset May 31st 1895. Arnold M. Sharp, M.A., Vicar, Wm. Abbott & F.T. Hayward, Churchwardens, St. Andrew`s Kinson.

20. This Chapel was enlarged in the Year 1827 by which means 150 additional sittings were obtained and in consequence of a grant from the Society for promoting the enlargement & building of Churches and Chapels 108 of that number are hereby declared to be free and unappropriated for ever and are in addition to 16 formerly provided.
W. O. Bartlett Minister. John Way, Edward Elliott, Chapel Wardens.

21. The Reverend Kenneth George Webber
In thanksgiving to God for the life of The Reverend Kenneth George Webber who faithfully served this Church family as Boys Brigade Captain, Choirmaster and Lay Reader and as Curate from 1978 to 1986.
He was loved by all who knew him. Well done good and faithful servant.

HUTCHIN`S HISTORY OF DORSET - KINSON CHURCH INSCRIPTIONS

1. Charles Blair
In memory of Charles Blair, eldest son of Charles Blair esq. of Ensbury in this parish, who died 9th February 1804, aged 9 years.

2. Thomas Byrdall Hugo
Beneath this stone lie the remains of Thomas Byrdall Hugo esq. of Ensbury in this parish, who died 26th January 1829, aged 71 years.

3. Anne Hiley
Here lieth Anne, wife of Charles Hiley, late of this place, but now of Upton in this county, gent, who died December 1732 aged 58 years.

4. Charles Strangeways Hiley
Here also lies Charles Strangeways Hiley esq., who died 28th November 1789 aged 58 years.

5. John Way
Who once lived at Howe Lodge is recorded.

6. Pennel King
In memory of Pennel King, who died 5th October 1809, aged 93 years.

7. Thomas Stone
Newfoundland merchant of Poole is recorded.

 

PRIORS OF BRADENSTOKE - WILTSHIRE * 

Long ago, Canford and therefore Kinson at a later date, had a strong connection with the Priors and Convent of Bradenstoke from the 1100`s to 1539.

The prior and canons of Bradenstoke became independent from the abbot and canons of Cirencester in 1189.

It is truly remarkable today that although the once powerful priory has practically disappeared into history, the church of Canford and St Andrew`s church in Kinson live on.

The following list gives a hint of those who once faithfully served:

 
c1139-1177 -  Adam. Went to be Abbot of Cirencester.
c1182-1183 - William
c1184-1189 - Matthew
c1197-1200 - Henry
c1203-1205 - William 
c1208          - Vacant.

c1215-1243 - Simon or Simeon
c1243-1260 - William
c1261-1285 - Geoffrey
c1287          - William
c1295-1311 - Hugh
c1312-1327 - John de Botewell
c1327          - Richard le Best
c1344          - Richard
c1346-1347 - Richard
c1352-1353 - Thomas Spicer
c1354-1367 - Geoffrey de Besiles
c1371-1372 - Richard (Redborn)
c1377          - Geoffrey de Besiles (reinstated)
c1380-1397 - Richard (Boterel)
c1400-1405 - Thomas
c1408-1413 - Robert (Hatte)
c1422-1459 - John (Chynnok)
c1480 - Simon (de Wootton or Wotton)
c1483-1524 - Thomas (Walshe or Welch)
c1526-1539 - William (Snowe)

* Research on-going.

EARLY CLERGY RECORDS OF CANFORD CHURCH

Before 1200

 
Philip, clerk.
Robert Winnam  -  Rector of Canford.

c1168-1179 
Richard of Candover,  was referred to as Rector/Parson of Canford church. He died before the feast of St. Barnabas. 
Osbert,  was referred to as Chaplain of Canford.

After 1200

1227 - Simon de Berengar, Vicar of Canford and the chapels of Kinson and Hampreston are mentioned in an agreement. Also recorded is a chapel in Poole connected with Canford.

1252 - Canford with the chapel of Poole and others chapels pertaining to it are mentioned.

NOTES ON THE VICARS OF CANFORD & ST ANDREW`S CHURCH,KINSON

John de Cotes
Seven centuries ago, John de Cotes was appointed vicar of Canford and Kinson by permission of Thomas, earl of Lancaster, Leicester and Derby. Hutchin`s appears to have described this earl as Duke of Lancaster.

 
Unfortunately, during troubled times, Thomas was not on good terms with the King or his favourites. In 1322, Edward II, while at war against the barons, captured and beheaded Thomas of Lancaster.


As for John, he was appointed to Canford in March 1312 and probably left the area before January 1316 when William de Littleton replaced him. It is recorded that he became Prior of Tewkesbury in 1317. No doubt, due to his accomplished service, by 1330 he was appointed Abbott of Tewkesbury and served faithfully until his death and burial there in 1347. 

John de Stepellavynton, Vicar of Canford and Kinson, who survived the attack of the pestilence known as the Black Death in 1348-9, died from the disease in 1361. He was succeed by John de Shireborn at Canford on 9th September 1361.

On 6th October 1391, Richard Malward, a Canon of Bradenstoke, was instit. The Prior of Bradenstoke was Richard Boterel, 1380-1397.

On 23rd May 1435, John Haliswell, a Canon of Bradenstoke, was instit. The Prior of Bradenstoke was John Chynnok, 1422-1459.

On 4th May 1524, Laurence Martyn, Chaplain, was instit. The Prior of Bradenstoke was Thomas Walsh, c1483-1524.

By grant of the Prior and Convent of Bradenstoke, original patrons, dated 30th July 1535, Henry Long, gent is named as the patron of Silvester Bowes, instit. 1560. 


CLERGY OF CANFORD & ST ANDREW`S CHURCH, KINSON

1312 John de Cotes, clerk, instit. by permission of Thomas, Duke of Lancaster, for this time 11. cal. March 1312.

1316 William de Littleton, clerk, instit. 3rd January 1316.

1326 John de Stepellavynton, clerk, instit. 24th April 1326.

1361 John de Shireborn, pbr, instid. 9th September 1361.

ND John Chippenham.

1391 Richard Malward, Canon of Bradenstoke, on the death of Chippenham, instit. 6th October 1391.

1414 Thomas Calne, chaplain, instit. 19th January 1414.

1429 John Rypon, chaplain, instit. 14th December 1429.

1435 John Haliswell, Canon of Bradenstoke, on the resignation of Rypon, inst. 23rd May 1435.

ND Hugh Bexyngton.

1436 Richard Kyng, chaplain, on the death of Bexyngton, instit. 22nd November 1436.

1437 John Hobby, chaplain, on the resignation of Kyng, instit. 11th March 1437.

1480 William Mighel, clerk, on the resignation of John Hobby, chaplain, inst. 24th November 1480.

1490 John Warland, clerk, on the resignation of William Mighel, instit. 28th April 1490.

1511 John Hassard, clerk, on the resignation of Warland, instit. 7th April 1511.

1524 Laurence Martyn, chaplain, on the death of Hassard, inst. 4th May 1524. The Patron was the Prior and Convent of Bradenstoke.

ND Laurence Hipman.

1542 William Fayle, pbr, B.D., on the death of Laurence Hipman, instit. 11th May 1542.

1560 Silvester Bowes, instit. 1560. The Patron was Henry Long, gent,hac serice, by grant of the Prior and Convent of Bradenstoke, original Patrons, dated 30th July 1535.

1584 John Lillington, A.B., instit. 7th April 1584.

1593 John Barnes, inst., 1593, ob, 1609.

1609 Robert Williams, instit. 1609. He was removed to Horsington about 1620.

1620 William Beaumont, inst. 1620, as the Registrar. He was ejected 1652, or before insuffiency.

1676 William Raven, inst. 1676.

1683 John Flight, inst. 1683, died 1717. The Patron was the Monarch.

1718 William Downes, M.A., January 14th. 1718 resigned. The Patron was Winch Holdsworth D.D. .

1720 John Smith, M.A., instit. July 28th 1720.

1721 Winch Holdsworth, D.D., instit. February 20th 1721.

1722 Thomas Haywood, D.D., inst. March 21st 1722.

1723 Richard Lloyd, Jun., M.A., instit., July 1st 1723. The Patron was William Downes (clerk).

1738 Matthew Wasse, B.A., on the death of Lloyd, inst., January 12th 1738. Died December 1775. The Patrons were Elizabeth Lloyd (widow) and Thomas Lloyd.

1776 Robert Henning, M.A., Vicar of Frampton, inst. 6th April, died November 28th 1798. Patron, Robert Henning M.A. .

1798 George Tito Brice, instit. 27th December 1798 on the death of Henning, of whom he purchased the Advowson. For many years a magistrate of the County and Provincial Grand Chaplain to the Freemasons Lodge of Amity at Poole. Died 7th June 1826, aged 67. Patron: George Tito Brice.

1826 William Oldfeld Bartlett M.A., inst. October 16th 1826, died May 21st 1842. His Patron was George Tito Brice of Barowshot, Up lyme Co. Devon, esq.

1842 William Smith M.A., instit. October 29th 1842.

1846 Hon. William Brabazon Ponsonby M.A., Trinity College, Cambridge, instit. February 13th 1846 on the resignation of Smith.

1866 Kinson became a separate parish in its own right. The Rev. Egerton Frederick Daniell became the first perpetual curate.

VICARS OF KINSON
(A suggested list with additional information probably required.)

1868 Egerton Frederick Daniell

1886 Burton Weldon

1891 Arnold Mortimer Sharp

1931 Harry Marsh Ward

1935 Rex Edward Ambrose Lloyd

1943 John Robert Aspinall

1954 Canon Alfred Loughlin

1981 Archdeacon Basil Wingfield Digby (interregnum)

Team Vicars/Rectors of Kinson

1982 John Richard Moore
1989 Canon Victor Robert Barron
2000 Martin Howard
2007 Patrick Nesbitt
2014 Lee Shirvill



CHURCHWARDENS OF ST ANDREW`S,KINSON
(A suggested list with additional information required)

1825 John Way & Edward Elliott
1836 John Way & William Footner
1840 Edwin Elliott
1841 John Way & Charles Spencer
1842 John Way & Wm Footner
1845 John Way & Edwin B. Elliott
1846 John Way & Edwin B. Elliott
1847 Pennel King
1848 William Footner
1849 William Footner
1850 Wm Footner & Edward Elliott
1855 Pennel King & Wm Footner
1856 William Footner
1857 William Footner
1858 Wm Footner & George Elliott
1859 Wm Footner & George Elliott
1860 William Footner
1861 William Footner
1862 Wm Footner & Robt. Corbin King
1863 William Footner
1864 Robt. Corbin King
1865 Wm Footner & Robt. Corbin King
1872 Edwin B. Elliott & Robt. Corbin King
1874 Robt. Corbin King & Edwin B. Elliott
1886 Edwin B. Elliott & Robt. Corbin King
1887 Edwin B. Elliott & Robt. Corbin King
1888 S. Montgomery & R. C. King
1889 William Abbott & R. C. King
1893 Wm Abbott & F. T. Hayward
1894 Wm Abbott & Frederick Thomas Hayward
1903 Reg Atkins
1904 Reg Atkins
1905 Reg Atkins
1906 Reg Atkins
1907 Reg Atkins
1908 Reg Atkins
1909 Reg Atkins
1910 Reg Atkins
1911 Reg Atkins
1912 Reginald Atkins & L. Parke of Ensbury Manor
1913 Reg Atkins
1914 Reg Atkins
1915 Reg Atkins
1916 Reg Atkins
1917 Reg Atkins
1918 Reg Atkins
1919 Reg Atkins
1920 Reg Atkins
1921 Reg Atkins
1922 Reg Atkins
1923 Reg Atkins
1924 Reg Atkins
1925 Reg Atkins
1926 Reg Atkins
1927 Reg Atkins
1928 Reg Atkins
1929 Reg Atkins
1930 Reg Atkins
1931 Reg Atkins
1932 Reg Atkins
1933 Reg Atkins
1934 Reg Atkins
1935 Alderman R. Atkins & Mr. F. H. Gard
1936 Reg Atkins
1937 Reg Atkins
1938 Reg Atkins
1939 Reg Atkins
1940 Reg Atkins
1941 Reg Atkins
1942 Reg Atkins
1943 Alderman R. Atkins & Mr. E. A. Thomas
1944 Reg Atkins
1945 Reg Atkins
1946 Reg Atkins
1947 Reg Atkins
1948 Reg Atkins
1970 Mr H. Chalice (Vicar`s warden),
Mr. G. Powell (People`s warden),
Mr. G. A. Turner (deputy People`s warden).

1971 Mr. H. Chalice (Vicar`s warden),
Mr G. Powell People`s warden).

1972 Mr. H. Chalice (Vicar`s warden),
Mr G. Powell People`s warden).

1973 Mr. H. Chalice (Vicar`s warden),
Mr G. Powell People`s warden).

1980 Mr. G. Powell
1981 Mr. G. Powell & Mr. A. Puttock
1982 Mr. Dennis J. Pedley & Mr. H. Reg Dymond
1983 Mr. Dennis J. Pedley & Mr. H. Reg Dymond
1984 Mr. Dennis J. Pedley & Mr. H. Reg Dymond

1987 Mr Simon Wareham & Mr. Reg Dymond

2014 Mr Simon Wareham & Mr Brian Phillips

OVERSEERS OF THE POOR - KINSON
(Outline list with more research required.)

1837 Edward Elliott & Harry Hayter
1838 Wm Footner & Charles Spencer
1839 Joshua Wareham & Roger Corbin
1840 James Pymer & Wm Footner
1841 Thos William & Richard Taylor
1842 Thos Abbott & Thos Conway
1843 Edward Elliott & William Knight
1844 Pennel King & James Nooke or Rooke?
1845 John Cowley & John Barnes
1846 George Cresswell & Henry Hayter
1847 Thos Abbott & John Lawford
1848 Charles Spencer & Joshua Wareham
1849 Robert King & George Elliott
1850 Harry Head & James Cherrett
1851 Thomas Bailey & George Ware
1852 Robert James & William Symmonds
1853 ? & Rigler
1854 Edwin Elliott & Joshua Wareham
1855 Thos Abbott & Thomas Conway
1856 George Higdon & George Bowering
1857 George Higdon & Thomas Gill?
1858 Geo Higdon & Charles Cutler
1859 Edwin B. Elliott & Chas Spencer
1860 George Elliott & David Atkins
1861 Harry Head & Joshua Wareham
1862 Edwin B. Elliott & Charles Butler
1863 Charles Cutler & Wm Abbott
1864 Wm Abbott & Robert James
1865 Harry Head & Robert James
1866 E. Elliott & Robert James
1867 L. Way?
1868 G. Elliott & Chas. Cutler
1869 Chas. Cutler & E. B. Elliott
1870 Chas Cutler & Mr. Head
1885 William Abbott, George Brown & Elmer Brown
1886 Wlliam Abbott, Geo Brown & Elmer Brown
1887 Elmer Brown, William Abbott,
James Butler & G. Higdon

1888 G. Budden, Wm. Abbott,
George Harrison & Elmer Brown

1889 Frederick T. Hayward,
John Abbott & William Rogers

1890 Wm. Abbott, Joseph Hobbs & T. Hayward.
1891 Wm. Carberry, Wm. Abbott & E. J. Allnor
1892 Wm. Carbery, Wm. Abbott, F.T. Hayward
1894 Wm. Abbott & E.J. Allnor
1895 George Allingham & Thomas Richard Saws

FACULTIES
(Please also check PE/KIN/CW 4 to PE/KIN/CW 4/12.)

Addition to churchyard. 1867.
Dismantling of the present church, leaving the tower and chancel, and the erection of a new church on the same site. 20 Jun 1894
Minor faculty: installation of a clock in the church tower as a memorial to Queen Victoria, and alter detail of window. 31 Jul 1905
Minor faculty: installation of a stained glass window in memory of Isaac Fryer of Kinson. 10 Dec 1908
Minor faculty: installation of a church organ. 24 Oct 1911
Minor faculty: authorising the positioning of the organ in a more convenient place in the church. 5 Jul 1920
Minor faculty: installation of a heating system. 21 Oct 1936
Minor faculty: erection of a bronze memorial tablet to Charles Christopher Barrington Russell. 19 Aug 1938
Minor faculty: the placement of the Glastonbury chair in the church as a memorial to Revd A M Sharp. 13 Dec 1939
Erect memorial tablet on north wall of chancel. 1940.
Erect a war memorial tablet on east wall of south aisle. Also for a book of remembrance. 1948.
Minor faculty: the erection of a stone tablet as a Second World War memorial. 19 Sep 1950
Minor faculty: installation of two oak doors in the church as a memorial to Alderman R Atkins.19 Sep 1950
Erect door to vestry. 1950.
Minor faculty: erection of a brass tablet as a memorial to Helen Estella Fletcher and William Millar Fletcher. 18 Aug 1952
Minor faculty: installation of an electric organ blower. 28 Jul 1953
Exhumation and re-internment - Ford. 1978.
Repairs and re-site organ. 1982.
Build Church Hall. 1984.
Build platform in chancel, removal of pews, provide additional lighting. 1984.
Removal of kerbstones. 1985.
Repairs to south porch, roof gables and bell frame. 1986.
Memorial tablet - Revd. Kenneth Webber. 1989.

CHURCH WINDOWS

1.To the glory of God and in affectionate remembrance of John Fryer of Wimborne Minster. Died Oct 1854. Aged 57. This chapel was restored and East window erected by his widow and his sons John and Harding Fryer. A.D. 1875.
Inscription: "This is my beloved son in whom I am well pleased. Hear ye him."Note: Harding Fryer 2nd son of John & Mary, died December 9 1869 aged 28 years. Died at Landport, Hants and was buried in the vault at St. Andrew`s.

2. Isaac Fryer Memorial windows: To the glory of God and in very devoted remembrance of her father Isaac Fryer of Kinson. Erected by his daughter Ada Augusta Russell.
The work of A.L. Moore. It is signed: A. L. Moore, Del et pinxit, London WC.

Notes:
PE/KIN/CW 4/3 10 Dec 1908
Minor faculty authorising the installation of a stained glass window in memory of Isaac Fryer of Kinson.
1 doc. Dorset History Centre.

3. Col. Godfrey Russell memorial windows: "In loving memory of Col Godfrey Russell son of the Rev`d John Russell Rector of Landrinio and grandson of the late Dean of Battle. This window was erected by his wife Ada Augusta Russell on the restoration of Kinson church 1895. Note: Lt. Col. Godfrey Russell died on 15th November 1892. Neatly signed work of A.L. Moore glass painter of 89 Southampton Row, London WC. (Arthur Louis Moore 1849 to 1939)

ST ANDREW`s CHURCH REGISTERS
(Dorset County Archives/Family History Centre)

Please note: All Registers are available on microfilm only. 
Transcripts are available on the Search Room shelves for ‌Christenings 1680-1837, Marriages 1680-1837 and Burials 1686-1790.

PE/KIN/RE 1/1 1680 to 1728
Christenings 1680 to 1728. Marriages 1680 to 1728. Burials 1686 to 1728.

PE/KIN/RE 1/2 1728 to 1790
Christenings 1728 to 1790. Marriages 1728 to 1754. Burials 1728 to 1790.

PE/KIN/RE 1/3 1791-1812
Christenings 1791 to 1812. Marriages 1798 to 1812. Burials 1791-1812.

PE/KIN/RE 2/1 1813 to 1855. Christenings.

PE/KIN/RE 2/2 1855-1915. Christenings.

PE/KIN/RE 2/3 1865-1868. Christenings for St Saviour`s, Newtown.

PE/KIN/RE 2/4 1870-1891
Christenings for St Saviour`s Newtown 1870-1889.
Christenings for St Clement`s 1889-1891.

PE/KIN/RE 2/5 1915-1939. Christenings.

PE/KIN/RE 2/6 1939-1951. Christenings.

PE/KIN/RE 2/7 1951-1957. Christenings.

PE/KIN/RE 2/8 1953-1974. Christenings for St Philips.
All christenings except one in the St Phillip`s area took place in St Andrew`s, Kinson.

PE/KIN/RE 2/9 1957-1967. Christenings.

PE/KIN/10 1967-1975. Christenings.

PE/KIN/RE 3/1 1756-1812. Marriages, Banns.

PE/KIN/RE 3/2 1813-1837. Marriages.

PE/KIN/RE 3/3 1837-1885. Marriages.

PE/KIN/RE 3/4 1885-1912. Marriages.

PE/KIN/RE 3/5 1912-1935. Marriages.

PE/KIN/RE 3/6 1935-1948. Marriages.

PE/KIN/RE 3/7 1949-1955. Marriages.

PE/KIN/RE 3/8 1955-1959. Marriages.

PE/KIN/RE 3/9 1959-1963. Marriages.

PE/KIN/RE 3/10 1963-1966. Marriages.

PE/KIN/RE 3/11 1966-1969. Marriages.

PE/KIN/RE 3/12 1969-1972. Marriages.

PE/KIN/RE 3/13 1972-1976. Marriages.

PE/KIN/RE 3/14 1976-1981. Marriages.

PE/KIN/RE 3/15 1981-1985. Marriages.

PE/KIN/RE 3/16 1985-1992. Marriages.

PE/KIN/RE 4/1 1813-1872. Burials.

PE/KIN/RE 4/2 1872-1912. Burials.

PE/KIN/RE 4/3 1912-1951. Burials.

PE/KIN/RE 4/4 1951-1956. Burials.

PE/KIN/RE 5/1 1908-1946. Banns.

PE/KIN/RE 5/2 1946-1956. Banns.

PE/KIN/RE 5/3 1982-1986. Banns.

PE/KIN/RE 5/4 1986-1992. Banns.

PE/KIN/RE 6/1 1953-1943 Confirmations.
PE/KIN/RE 6/2 1945-1959 Confirmations.
PE/KIN/RE 6/3 1960-1981 Confirmations.

SERVICES

PE/KIN/SE 1 Service Registers not dated
PE/KIN/SE 1/1 Services 1887-1903
PE/KIN/SE 1/2 Register of Services 1903-1918
PE/KIN/SE 1/3 Register of Services 1918-1934
PE/KIN/SE 1/4 Register of Services 1935-1947
PE/KIN/SE 1/5 Register of Services 1947-1956
PE/KIN/SE 1/6 Register of Services 1956-1961
PE/KIN/SE 1/7 Register of Services 1962-1968
PE/KIN/SE 1/8 Register of Services 1968-1975
PE/KIN/SE 1/9 Register of Services 1975-1985
PE/KIN/SE 1/10 Register of Services 1985-1992

INCUMBENT

PE/KIN/IN (n.d.)
PE/KIN/IN 1 (n.d.)
Certificates,Licences and Notices (n.d.)
PE/KIN/IN 1/1/1 1949. 1 doc.
PE/KIN/IN 1/1/2 1949. 1 doc.
PE/KIN/IN 1/1/3 1949. 1 doc.
PE/KIN/IN 1/1/4 1949. 1 doc.
PE/KIN/IN 1/1/5 1949. 1 doc.
PE/KIN/IN 1/1/6 1949. 1 doc.
PE/KIN/IN 1/1/7 1949. 1 doc.
PE/KIN/in 1/1/8 1949. 1 doc.
PE/KIN/IN 1/1/9 1949. 1 doc.
PE/KIN/IN 1/1/10 1949. 1 doc.
PE/KIN/IN 1/1/11 1949. 1 doc.
PE/KIN/IN 1/1/12 1949. 1 doc.
PE/KIN/IN 1/1/13 1949. 1 doc
PE/KIN/IN 1/1/14 1949. 1 doc.
PE/KIN/IN 1/1/15 1949. 1 doc.
PE/KIN/IN 1/1/16 1949. 1 doc.
PE/KIN/IN 1/1/17 1949. 1 doc.
PE/KIN/IN 1/1/18 1949. 1 doc.
PE/KIN/IN 1/1/19 1949. 1 doc.
PE/KIN/IN 1/1/20 1949. 1 doc.
PE/KIN/IN 1/1/21 1949. 1 doc.
PE/KIN/IN 1/1/22 1949. 1 doc.
PE/KIN/IN 1/1/23 1949. 1 doc.
PE/KIN/IN 1/1/24 1949. 1 doc.
PE/KIN/IN 1/1/25 1949. 1 doc.
PE/KIN/IN 1/1/26 1950. 1 doc.
PE/KIN/IN 1/1/27 1951. 1 doc.
PE/KIN/IN 1/1/28 1970? 1 doc.
PE/KIN/IN 1/1/29 1971? 1 doc.
PE/KIN/IN 1/1/30 1975. 1 doc.
PE/KIN/IN 1/2/1 1950. 1 doc.

PE/KIN/IN 1/3 Banns Certificate (n.d.)

PE/KIN/IN 1/3/1. Galton & Vincent, 6 March 1796.
PE/KIN/IN 1/3/2. Toms & Barnes, 3 September 1797.
PE/KIN/IN 1/3/3. Bushly & Saunders, October 1812.
PE/KIN/IN 1/3/4. Abbott & White 1912.
PE/KIN/IN 1/3/5. 1931.
PE/KIN/IN 1/3/6. 1955.
PE/KIN/IN 1/3/7. 1956.
PE/KIN/IN 1/3/8. 1956.
PE/KIN/IN 1/3/9. 1956.
PE/KIN/IN 1/3/10. 1956.

MARRIAGE LICENSES
PE/KIN/IN 1/4 (n.d.)
PE/KIN/IN 1/4/1. Reynolds & Morton, 20 August 1886.

DEATH CERTIFICATES

PE/KIN/IN 1/5 (n.d.)
PE/KIN/IN 1/5/1. 1921.
PE/KIN/IN 1/5/2. 1956.
PE/KIN/IN 1/5/3. 1956.
PE/KIN/IN 1/5/4. 1980.

EXTRACTS FROM THE REGISTERS

PE/KIN/IN 2 (n.d.)
PE/KIN/IN 2/1. Note of marriages performed 1785-1786.
PE/KIN/IN 2/2. Marriage of Wm & Mary Hewlett, 29 May 1792.
PE/KIN/IN 2/3. Marriage between Cherrett & Wright, 1887.
PE/KIN/IN 2/4. Marriage between Doreas & Ratter 1889-1890.
PE/KIN/IN 2/5. List of register entries concerning the Reeks, Pitt,Rogers, Webb and Jones families during 18th century. n.d. (20th cent).

PE/KIN IN 3. Genealogical inquiries.
PE/KIN/IN 3/1. Letter, Durrant & Ponsonby, 3 June 1846.
PE/KIN/IN 3/2. Letter, Hayes to Revd Sharp.

PE/KIN/IN 4. Benefice.
PE/KIN/IN 4/1. Letter, Macdonald to Revd Daniell, 28 Feb 1870.
PE/KIN/IN 4/2. Letter, Church Commissioners to Revd Sharp, 10 Aug 1893.
PE/KIN/IN 4/3. Copy of London Gazette containing the Order of Council, establishing district chapelry of St Marks, Talbot Village, 10 Oct 1919.

PE/KIN/IN 5/1. Bill and receipt for charges. Conveyance of land for a vicarage in Kinson. From Farrer, Ouvry and Farrer to Revd W Ponsonby, 1867-1868.
PE/KIN/IN 5/2. Schedule of works required under the Ecclesiastical Dilapidations Measures, May 1954.

PE/KIN/IN 6. Purchase of land.
PE/KIN/IN 6/1. Bill and receipt for land purchase by Revd W Ponsonby through Farrer,Ouvry and Farrer, 1865.

PE/KIN/IN 7. Parochial Statistics.
PE/KIN/IN 7/1/1. Return forms, 1891.
PE/KIN/IN 7/1/2. Return forms, 1899.
PE/KIN/IN 7/1/3. Return forms, 1900-03.
PE/KIN/IN 7/1/4. Return forms, 1905-09.
PE/KIN/IN 7/1/5. Return forms, 1910-14.
PE/KIN/IN 7/1/6. Return forms, 1915-19.
PE/KIN/IN 7/1/7. Return forms, 1920-24.
PE/KIN/IN 7/1/8. Return forms, 1925-30.
PE/KIN/IN 7/1/6. Return forms, 1915-19.
PE/KIN/IN 7/1/7. Return forms, 1920-24.
PE/KIN/IN 7/1/8. Return forms, 1925-30.

PE/KIN/IN 7/2. Parochial Registers.
PE/KIN/IN 7/2/2. Statistics relating to church services, organisation and finance. Part complete. 1894.
PE/KIN/IN 7/3. Electoral Rolls.
PE/KIN/IN 7/3/1. Electoral register, 1921-33.
PE/KIN/IN 7/3/2. Electoral register, 1932-72.
PE/KIN/IN 7/3/3. Electoral register, 1972-1976. For electoral roll details, refer to PCC 5/1.

PE/KIN/IN 7/4. General.
PE/KIN/IN 7/4/1. List of proprietors of houses and land at Kinson. 19th century.

PE/KIN/IN 8. Churchyard Records.
PE/KIN/IN 8/1. Churchyard register, 1865-1987.
PE/KIN/IN 8/2. Churchyard register, 1868-1971.
PE/KIN/IN 8/3. Churchyard register, 1909-56.
PE/KIN/IN 8/4. Funeral services, graves and cremations register, 1950-1993.
PE/KIN/IN 8/5. Funeral and cremation register, 1982.
PE/KIN/IN 8/6. Inscription on the gravestone of Robert Trotman who died in 1765.

PE/KIN/CW. Churchwardens (n.d.)
PE/KIN/CW 1. Account Books (n.d.)
PE/KIN/CW 1/1. Account book, 1721-1828.
PE/KIN/CW 1/2. Account book, 1827-1931.
PE/KIN/CW 2. Annual Statement of Accounts,(n.d.)
PE/KIN/CW 2/1. Annual Statement of Accounts, 1926-27.
PE/KIN/CW 2/2. Annual Statement of Accounts, 1954-59.
PE/KIN/CW 2/3. Annual Statement of Accounts, 1960-63.
PE/KIN/CW 3. Vouchers (n.d.)
PE/KIN/CW 3/1. Invoices and receipts for painting and repairing the church, 1831-40.

PE/KIN/CW 4. Faculties (n.d.)
PE/KIN/CW 4/1. Faculty. Dismantling present church, leaving the tower and chancel, and erection of a new church on the same site, 20 June 1894.
PE/KIN/CW 4/2. Minor faculty. Installation of a clock in the church tower as a memorial to Queen Victoria, 31 July 1905.
PE/KIN/CW 4/3. Minor faculty. Installation of a stained glass window in memory of Isaac Fryer of Kinson, 10 Dec 1908.
PE/KIN/CW 4/4. Minor faculty. Installation of a church organ, 24 Oct 1911.
PE/KIN/CW 4/5. Minor faculty. Positioning of the organ in a more convenient place in the church, 5 July 1920.
PE/KIN/CW 4/6. Minor faculty. Installation of a heating system, 21 Oct 1936.
PE/KIN/CW 4/7. Minor faculty. Bronze memorial tablet to Charles Christopher Barrington Russell, 19 Aug 1938.
PE/KIN/CW 4/8. Minor faculty. Placement of the Glastonbury chair in the church as a memorial to Revd A M Sharp, 13 Dec 1939.
PE/KIN/CW 4/9. Minor faculty. Erection of stone tablet as a Second World War memorial, 19 Sept 1950.
PE/KIN/CW 4/10. Minor faculty. Installation of two oak doors in the church as a memorial to Alderman R Atkins, 19 Sept 1950.
PE/KIN/CW 4/11. Minor faculty. Erection of a brass tablet as a memorial to Helen Estella Fletcher and William Millar Fletcher, 18 Aug 1952.
PE/KIN/CW 4/12. Minor faculty. Installation of an electric organ blower, 28 July 1953.

PE/KIN/CW 5. Church Fabric and Furniture (n.d.)
PE/KIN/CW 5/1. Lists of subscribers for the painting of the church, n.d. 1831.
PE/KIN/CW 5/2. Lists of subscribers for the purchase of a church organ (19th cen).
PE/KIN/CW 5/3. Sittings giving pew number, capacity of the pew and the names of those assigned to each seat, 1828, 1835.
PE/KIN/CW 5/4. Letter from Salisbury Diocesan Church Building Assn to ?the rector of Kinson, 12 May 1870.
PE/KIN/CW 5/5. Provisional valuation of St Andrew`s and the Mission Hall at High Howe for the purpose of land tax, 1914.

PE/KIN/CW 6. Mission Hall (n.d.)
PE/KIN/CW 6/1. 22 March 1950.
Conveyance of a piece of land at Kinson on the main road from Poole to Ringwood, dated 5 April 1930.

PE/KIN/CW 7/1. Sequestration order following the cession of John Robert Aspinall, 3 May 1954.
PE/KIN/CW 7/2. Memorandum on the duties of sequestrators during a vacancy, (post 1933).

PE/KIN/CW 8. Plans of the Church (n.d.)
PE/KIN/CW 8/1. Plan of proposed roof trusses to the south aisle, Jan 1911.
PE/KIN/CW 8/2. Plan of proposed buttresses to the south aisle, Jan 1911.
PE/KIN/CW 8/3. Plan of proposed alterations to the boiler house, 25 Aug 1937.

PE/KIN/VE. Vestry (n.d.)
PE/KIN/VE 1. Minutes (n.d.)
PE/KIN/VE 1/1. Minute book, 1834-64.
PE/KIN/VE 1/2. Minute book, 1864-1907.
PE/KIN/VE 1/3. Minute book, 1940-67.
PE/KIN/VE 1/4. Minute book, 1968-91.
PE/KIN/VE 2 (n.d.)
PE/KIN/VE 2/1 1983-91.

PE/KIN/PCC. Parochial Church Council (n.d.)
PE/KIN/PCC 1. Minute Books (n.d.)
PE/KIN/PCC 1/1. Minute book, 1897-1927.
PE/KIN/PCC 1/2. Minute book, 1928-30.
PE/KIN/PCC 1/3. Minute book, 1930-33.
PE/KIN/PCC 1/4. Minute book, 1933-43.
PE/KIN/PCC 1/5. Minute book, 1982-4.
PE/KIN/PCC 2. Accounts (n.d.)
PE/KIN/PCC 2/1. Account book, 1966-67.
PE/KIN/PCC 2/2. Account book, 1968-9.
PE/KIN/PCC 2/3. Account book, 1970-2.
PE/KIN/PCC 3. St Andrew`s Church Hall and Youth Club (n.d.)
PE/KIN/PCC 3/1. Minute book of the proposed St Andrew`s Hall, 1959-64.
PE/KIN/PCC 3/2. Minute book for St Andrew`s youth club and parish hall management committee, 1962-1974.
PE/KIN/PCC 3/3. Account book for St Andrew`s youth club, 1970-74.
PE/KIN/PCC 4. Attendance Registers (n.d.)
PE/KIN/PCC 4/1. Children`s attendance record in church, 1968-76.
PE/KIN/PCC 5. Annual Reports (n.d.)
PE/KIN/PCC 5/1. The Parish of St Andrew`s and St Phillip`s annual reports, 1983-92.

PE/KIN/OV. Overseers of the Poor (n.d.)
PE/KIN/OV 1. Accounts (n.d.)
PE/KIN/OV 1/1. Account book, 1794-1804.
PE/KIN/OV 2. Rates (n.d.)
PE/KIN/OV 2/1. Rate book,1828-32.

PE/KIN/MG. Parish Magazines (n.d.)
PE/KIN/MG 1. Kinson Parish Messenger (n.d.)
PE/KIN/MG 1/1. Parish Magazine, March 1879.
PE/KIN/MG 2. Kinson and Talbot Magazine (n.d.)
PE/KIN/MG 2/1. Parish Magazine, 1927.
PE/KIN/MG 2/2. Parish Magazine, 1931.
PE/KIN/MG 3. St Andrew`s, Kinson, Parish Magazine (n.d.)
PE/KIN/MG 3/1. Parish Magazine, 1932.
PE/KIN/MG 3/3. Parish Magazine, 1934.
PE/KIN/MG 3/4. Parish Magazine, 1935.
PE/KIN/MG 3/5. Parish Magazine, 1936.
PE/KIN/MG 3/6. Parish Magazine, 1937.
PE/KIN/MG 3/7. Parish Magazine, 1938.
PE/KIN/MG 3/8. Parish Magazine, 1939.
PE/KIN/MG 3/9. Parish Magazine, 1940.
PE/KIN/MG 3/10. Parish Magazine, 1941.
PE/KIN/MG 3/11. Parish Magazine, 1942.
PE/KIN/MG 4. The Kinson Parish Magazine (n.d.)
PE/KIN/MG 4/1. Parish Magazine, 1943.

PE/KIN/MG 5. News and Prayer bulletin from the Mid Africa Ministry (n.d.)
PE/KIN/MG 5/1. Parish Magazine, 1993.

PE/KIN/CH. Charities (n.d.)
PE/KIN/CH 1/1. Particulars of charities within the parish of Kinson, 1932-8.
PE/KIN/CH 1/2 n.d., 1870-1928.
Correspondence with the Charity Commissioners concern charities within Kinson.
Includes extracts from the register of unreported charities.
Includes details of all the charities listed in CH 2/1 to CH 9/1.

PE/KIN/CH 1/3. Charity subscription in account with John Way.
List of names with money given and for what purpose, 1826-27.

PE/KIN/CH 2. Isaac Fryer`s Charity (n.d.)
(Annual distribution to the poor.)
PE/KIN/CH 2/1. 1836, 1878-1913.

PE/KIN/CH 3. (Frederick Thomas) Hayward`s Charity (n.d.)
PE/KIN/CH 3/1. 1919-20.

PE/KIN/CH 4. Kinson Endowment Fund (n.d.)
PE/KIN/CH 4/1. Government stock certificates, 1907, 1932.

PE/KIN/CH 5. Sarah Way`s Charity (n.d.)
(Three aged poor.)
PE/KIN/CH 5/1. 1870,1892.

PE/KIN/CH 6. John Weare`s Charity (n.d.)
(Ten shillings yearly to poor.)
PE/KIN/CH 6/1. 1917.

PE/KIN/CH 7. Jessie Whittaker`s Churchyard Charity (n.d.)
Upkeep of St Andrew`s churchyard.
PE/KIN/CH 7/1. 1922-25.

PE/KIN/CH 8. Jessie Whittaker`s Memorial Charity (n.d.)
(Poor)
PE/KIN/CH 8/1. n.d 1923-25.

PE/KIN/CH 9. Jane William`s Charity (n.d.)
(Three poor men and two poor women.)
PE/KIN/CH 9/1. n.d.,1830,1881.

 

A Kinson connection with Old Poole

 

 


By the entrance to St. Andrew`s hall there is a tomb which commemorates Cornwall Jolliffe, whose family once held public office and were prominent merchants in Poole.

Cornwall is a great grandson of Captain Peter Jolliffe (Jollif 1658 - 1730) who in a small hoy called the Sea Adventure, with two others, drove a French privateer ashore at Lulworth in 1694 which earned him a King`s thanks and a gold chain and medal.

Captain Peter Jolliffe`s sons were named Peter, Christopher and William (1698 - 1762). Through the last named we can journey back to Kinson.

In 1750, William Jolliffe left a new dwelling house in West Street, Poole, to his eldest son Peter. William would have been proud of Peter for he reclaimed mudland by the back garden and built a wharf and a coal yard which was sold in 1785.

In the same year, Peter advertised for sale his new brick house at Howe in the Parish of Kinson which included a field of four acres. "Apply Mr. Jolliff in the West Street at Poole."

Unfortunately he died in May 1786 and the Kinson property was later sold by auction. For a while it was in the ownership of Mr. Oakley, and later acquired by Thomas Stone who bequeathed it to his favourite nephew, John Way.

Peter`s heir, the Rev. Peter William Jolliffe, was Rector of St. James church, Poole, 1791 - 1861, brother of Cornwall Jolliffe and a great grandson of Captain Jolliffe whose medal was held by him. Their mother, Harriet Jolliffe, who resided for many years at Ensbury died there in 1825 and was buried in Poole.

We know Cornwall Jolliffe was a confirmed batchelor with farming interests, who owned Alderney cottage rated at 4d Land tax in 1827, lived in a freehold property at Ensbury in 1831 and was eligible for Jury service in 1832.

In  April 1844, the Trial of the Will Forgers was concluded in London. It involved the last will of Mary Hunt, deceased, with intent to defraud the Rev. P. W. Jolliffe and his brother Cornwall Jolliffe, her nephews. The case against the accused was proved. Apart from one appeal, which if unsuccessful,  three male prisoners were to be transported beyond the seas to New South Wales  and two female prisoners were each imprisoned for a term of two years. 

Cornwall Jolliffe died on 4th January 1847. His estate and effects worth under £25 were left unadministered by his brother, Rev. Peter William Jolliffe. It was left to William, Rev Peter William`s son  to adminster his father`s estate  (valued under £1,000) in 1861, also that of Cornwall Jolliffe`s.

As for the gold chain and medal presented by William III, it weighed 2ozs 17 dwts* and on the reverse was the following inscription:

"His Majesties` Gift as a Reward to PETER JOLLIF, of Poole, for his good  Service against the Enemy in retaking  a Ketch of Weymouth from a French Privateer, and chaceing the said Privateer on Shoar near Lulworth in ye Isle of Purbeck, where shee was broken in pieces. 1694."

The whereabouts of this valuable piece of Poole`s history is now unknown. On April 23rd 1926, it was known to have been offered at auction by Messrs. Glendening & Co., art auctioneers, London, and purchased by London jewellers who paid £255 to acquire it.

* The History of the Town and County of Poole by John Sydenham confirms this weight.

 Text © Rodney Haskell 2019 and forms part of an on-going research project.  








Community Web Kit provided free by BT